- Active Adults - Six to eight social events per year. Meets for fellowship and good fun! Age range is approximately 30 through 50 years of age. Enjoy annual fall hayride, Christmas caroling and Memorial Day party.
- Somewhere Inbetweeners - This fun and somewhat adventurous group is open to all, but primarily for those “between” the Active Adults and the Golden Friends’ ages. Planning Committee meets three times a year and each event is chaired by a different committee member. Some enjoyable events have been:
- Game Night
- Lunch at Green Gables
- Performance at Mountain Playhouse
- Picnic and music at Hartwood Acres
Other events will be planned throughout the year. Come join the fun. New members are always welcome.
- Golden Friends - Meets on the second Tuesday for covered-dish lunch. Meetings are usually held at St. John’s. Age range for the group is approximately 55 through 85. Friends gather to socialize. Activities vary: bingo, food drive for homeless shelter, annual banquet and trip.
- Faithful Parents - Parents group that focuses on parenting that instills faith and morals in our children of all ages. Childcare is provided at each meeting.
- Lutheran Church Women - Meets the third Tuesday of the month at 7:30 pm at St. John’s for prayer and devotions to discuss life’s experiences and to perform Christian service activities such as making lap robes for the elderly, craft favors for Meals on Wheels recipients and sending cards to shut-ins.
Health And Wellness Ministries
- Monday Night Adult Recreation - Co-ed volleyball league as well as badminton and pickleball. All events held Monday evenings in the St. John’s Arena. Watch the bulletin and calendar or contact the church office for specific schedules.
- Having Fun Staying Young - Easy, low-impact exercises endorsed by the American Arthritis Foundation and the Silver Sneakers Program, emphasizing improved flexibility, muscle strength and balance. The exercises, accompanied by music, can be done sitting or standing. Morning and evening sessions are offered. Check with the church office or the calendar for specific times and detailed information.
- Stephen Ministries - Beloved, let us love one another. I John 4:7 Stephen Ministry is a confidential support ministry, where our care-givers provide listening, support,prayer and presence for those in need. Currently, there are 11 active Stephen Ministers. The is a Supervisor and a Education leader, providing continuing education and leadership to the group. Pastor Diehm serves as the group’s advisor. Members of St. John’s congregation and the North Hills community continue to be served by this care giving ministry.
- The Halos-Widow Support Group - Our support group is known as the Halos. It means Helping and Loving Others. We practice our name by giving support to each other and new widows who we encourage to join our group. We go out for dinner one Sunday evening a month. This year we went to the Carnegie Science Center, the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania, lights at Hartwood, Old Economy, the Ducky Tours, to see the Oakridge Boys as well as our monthly dinners out. Our plans for next year include a trip to the Canadian Rockies, as well as other trips and our monthly meetings. Our group consists of some members of St. John’s, some from St. Theresa’s and some from the community. We have about 60 members on our mailing list and 15-25 show up monthly. We get a lot of support from each other. We try to go out on members’ birthdays and on the anniversary of the spouses death, so we are not sitting at home alone. If you know anyone who would benefit from the Halos please call the church office.
- Deborah Ministry – A small group whose task is to care for new moms and their families.
- Worship Assistant - You can volunteer for several jobs to make our worship possible:
- Acolyte - Light and extinguish candles on the altar during worship services. Assist with offering. For adults and children, grade 7 and older.
- Greeter - Welcome people to St. John’s prior to worship and answer questions.
- Lector - Read lessons and prayers during worship service.
- Crucifer - Carry cross on special dates during worship services (A few times per year). For adults and children, grade 5 and older.
For detailed information and to sign up to assist, please contact the church office.
- Priscilla Guild - A group of women whose task is to prepare the sanctuary for all worship services. Its members care for all worship services. Its members care for the paraments, vestments and banners that visualize the church year with their colors and symbolisms. They prepare the vessels and linens used during Holy Communion and Holy Baptism and decorate the church for the Festive Services. They meet once a month.
- Building and Grounds Ministry - There are several ways in which you can assist in keeping our facilities in good condition:
- Gardening Group - Maintain and beautify the flower beds. Work includes planting, weeding and watering, but no lawn mowing.
- Lawn Mowing - Mow and trim grass. Knowledge of lawn mowing equipment a must.
- Painting-Group - Identifies and paints areas in need of a fresh coat of paint and other varied projects.
Contact the church office for additional ways to get involved.